Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Diaphragm options for JBL 2445?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member music2myears's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    ALTEC VOTT; Diaphragm options for JBL 2445?

    Hi,
    I'm building a "VOTT" type system, using 416-8C/825. I have just bought pair of JBL 2445J mid drivers that will be fitted to custom made round Tractrix horns.
    Does anybody have an opinion as regards these mid drivers; sound, diaphragm options etc?
    I haven't received them yet, but think that they might well be equipped original diaphragms.
    Some say that the original sound the "best" and that aftermarket options in general should be avoided.
    At the same time, I've been reading about some people preferring the sound from Aluminium domes to Titanium ones etc.
    I have found one diaphragm that looks interesting; Radian 1245-16, which is an Alu dome with Mylar suspension.
    Anybody here who have tried these and can compare them to the originals?
    Any chance the Radians might sound a bit less hard/harsh than the originals? Any other options available that can be recommended over the original items?
    I'm not worried about HF extension - my main concern is to NOT end up with a "hard sounding" system, being completely allergic to "spike-in-the-forehead-sound".
    Apologies for posting this "JBL" question on the ALTEC board, but I know that there are many knowledgeable people on this Forum - and my project is basically an ALTEC one anyway...he he

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Diaphragm options for JBL 2445?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Diaphragm options for JBL 2445?

    At Lansing Heritage, they degenerate into name calling on this discussion...IMHO Radians sound better than titanium but not as good as the old all aluminum frams. They don't have the harshness of the titanium.

    But Radians are the best "bang for the buck" due to their price.

    The original design work for the Radian fram was done by Renkus who worked at Altec, Emilar, Radian, and Renkus Heinz.

    Your mileage may vary....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member music2myears's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Diaphragm options for JBL 2445?

    Thanks for that opinion - greatly appreciated!
    So, I shouldn't worry too much about getting JBL Titaniums then...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.